As far as can be established, the first two tennis
courts were constructed in 1958 when two clay courts
were built where the present court and the cricket
practice nets are. Court No. 2 was in the position
where the present hard court is, while Court No.
1 was at right angles to it.
At that time, George Cartherasu was Chairman, Board
of Games. The Courts had no lighting. Consequently,
no tennis was possible at night. Both courts had
to be removed under circumstances no one expected.
During the construction of a slip road between Balestier
Road and Rangoon Road, a mound of earth was dumped
beside the courts causing flooding during heavy
rain. The courts were water-logged.
The tennis regulars played elsewhere until 1985
when a new court was ready for play, this time,
complete with lights. Among the players at the time
were N. Ponnudurai, Rene Sobrielo, George Cartherasu,
K. Amirthasingam, Charles Kwek, Dr. V.M.S. Thevadasan,
Gurmit Singh, Kuldip Singh, Anne Yee and Richway
The present tennis court was reconstructed at great
cost and completed in 1999.
Plans have been made to conduct coaching clinics.
The CSC team participating
in Singapore Tennis Association
INTER - CLUB DOUBLES LEAGUE 2006
will be selected from the following:-
- Balasubramaniam Nandagopal.
- Jaideep Goswami.
- Mukund Ramanujam.
- Mahesh Krishnaswamy.
- Thomas Jacob.
- Iyengar Vijaykumar Gopalan.
- Bhaskar Narayanan.
- Varghese John.
- Tulasidas Kunjukrishnan.
- Jack Mathew Kurian.
- Anil George Thomas.
- Eapen George.
- Abhinav Vijay.